recipe ideas at season change
It’s been happening lately each time the season jumps, I fall into a cooking rut. Either I make the same handful of dishes we like, or I don’t want to make anything. It’s frustrating because I’d make the week’s meal plan, then attempt to ignore it. How? I’d make rice every night, or fail to do the prep work so we’d either eat very late or I’d need to make something quick (generally pasta).
One day a friend posted a cold soup on instagram, it looked delicious and she shared her source, BBC Good Food. I was shocked, I thought I knew most things BBC.
It’s been amazing at helping me find quick and healthy meals with flavour combinations I wouldn’t otherwise. You may need to convert measurements depending on how you cook, as they are in metric. Many recipes are vegan or vegetarian. Others are healthy options for the carnivores in your life.
So far we’ve been very pleased with everything I’ve made. It’s nice to have some new dishes to add into my beloved Moosewood recipe rotation.
tried and true
I’ve made all of the following dishes.
- Black bean chimichurri salad – I substituted smoked paprika for the chili. We devoured this one lunchtime.
- Lemon spaghetti with tuna & broccoli – was a nice change from a normal tuna pasta salad, or plain spaghetti.
- Quinoa, lentil & feta salad – this was the first dish I made from the website. It was delicious.
- Summer couscous salad – this was easy. I didn’t have halloumi cheese, I should have looked for some Queso Blanco or even feta, but instead substituted some farmer’s cheese that was near it’s expiry date. It melted and the dish was still incredibly delicious.
- Summer fruit quinoa salad – I don’t know why I need recipes to remind me to add fruits, especially summer stone fruits, to main courses (though beware there will be a shortage in the North East this year). I completely forgot to add nuts (I was going to substitute almonds because that’s what I had in the pantry), and it was still delicious.
I highly recommend you check out the goodfood resources and recipes.